“What are we eating tonight?” my daughter asked. “We are eating a broccoli cheesecake” I answered. “It sounds nice” she said.
When it was time for supper she said: “…but Mom, this is a Quiche?” “Why did you call THIS a cheesecake, whilst you call the salami and olive thingy that is similar, a Quiche?”
…hmmmm, a very good question? What is the difference between a Quiche and a Savoury cheesecake? So I googled the question, but could not find any answers.
I define the difference as follows:
A Quiche can be crust less or with a crust, filled with any filling like salami and olives, bacon and cheese, etc, topped with an egg custard made mainly with eggs and milk or cream.
A savoury cheesecake always has a crust and is filled with a mixture made with any veggie or meat, which is mixed into a cottage cheese mixture. (this mixture is seasoned and contains cream/milk/Ideal milk and eggs).
So what do you define as the difference? I would like to find out what the real difference is and whether there is a difference!
Here is my recipe for the broccoli cheesecake / quiche:
For the crust:
100g butter, at room temperature
250ml grated cheddar cheese
250ml cake flour
Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Sift the Cake flour and cayenne pepper together.
- Add the butter and cheese and mix in a food processor until the dough comes together.
- Line the bottom and sides of a buttered 28cm quiche dish with the crust, prick with a fork and place in the refrigerator, until you are finished with the filling.
1 Broccoli head, broken into florets
4 spring onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
250g smooth full-cream cottage cheese
4 eggs, beaten
8 pepadews, chopped finely
5ml freshly grounded black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Cook the broccoli in salted water for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and drain in a coriander.
- Heat a little bit of oil and sauté the spring onion and garlic till soft. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the cottage cheese, cream and eggs together. Add the pepadews.
- Add the nutmeg, salt and black pepper and beat until well mixed.
- Arrange the broccoli onto the prepared crust and pour the cottage cheese mixture over.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, until the mixture has set and is a caramel colour.
Enjoy as a vegetarian dish or as a side dish to roasted meat.
Did you enjoy this? Then I am sure you will also enjoy the following: