People regularly asked me for budget friendly recipes. Fish is in general a good choice since it is reasonably priced and provides essential proteins. It is also healthier than red meat.
I found these Angelfish and my local supermarket and bought 4 large pieces for less than R30! That means I could feed four people for about R60 and that is really a bargain in my opinion!!
Angelfish has a delicate flavour and should not be cooked to long to prevent it from becoming dry and falling apart.
I used a few ingredients for this dish but it was really delicious!!
- 4 Angelfish fillets
- 60ml basil pesto
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- ½ onion thinly sliced
- 2 discs feta cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Place each angelfish fillet on a piece of tin foil, large enough to cover the fish completely.
- Brush each fillet with the basil pesto. Top with slices of tomato and onion.
- Crumble some feta over and season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Place on a balking tin and bake in the pre-heated oven for 8 minutes. (It can also be baked on medium coals on the braai.
- Serve hot with a side dish of your choice – I served this with broken boiled baby potatoes.