Thanks to everyone that did the past weekend’s Food Quiz!
Another day’s answers were brilliant – go and read them!
Colonialist’s answers are really worth reading!
Mitzi’s answers are more correct than mine!
Angeliqueca’s answers were spot on!
Viewfromtheside’s answers were, as always, very enjoyable!
Theonlycin’s answers were great!
Tandy from Lavender and Lime answered almost every question correctly!
If you want to learn more about the questions or just have a laugh, please go and read the participants answers!!
1. What is an Italian dumpling better known as?
A – Gnocchi.
2. What is strata in culinary terms?
A – The word “strata” comes from New Latin and is the plural form of the New Latin word “stratum”. “Strata” and “Stratum” both derive from the Latin word for a “spread” or a “bed” or a “layer” of something. In culinary terms, a strata refers to a series of layers or levels of a food.
3. What does “sous vide” means?
A – Sous vide is French for “under vacuum” and is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath at a temperature much lower than normally used for cooking. The intention is to cook the item evenly, not overcook the outside while still keeping the inside at the same ‘doneness’ and to keep the food juicier.
4. The “fifth taste” discovered by Japanese scientists, called “umami” describes what?
A- the savoury flavour found in meat, cheese, mushrooms and seaweed.
5. What are the main ingredients of “vichyssoise?
A – Potatoes and leeks.
6. What is Mentsuyu?
A – A Japanese noodle dipping sauce made from mirin, soy sauce and dashi.
7. The fruit of which African tree is used to make monkey bread?
A – Baobab tree.
8. Why is fish traditionally served with lemon?
A – It was believed in the middle ages that lemon would dissolve any accidentally swallowed fish bones.
9. What is tahini?
A – sesame seed paste
10. What are the basic ingredients of Fregolata, a hard and crumby cake, which are eaten all over northern Italy at the end of a meal?
A – Wheat flour and yellow cornmeal.
Enjoy the week!
pic from the internet