I love fillet steak, but it is very expensive. In Cape Town you can easily pay R200 per kilogram. If you have a family like mine who eats large portions of meat, it becomes very expensive to buy beef fillet.
I went to Malmesbury, recently, to fetch my son’s ID book and one of the butcheries was selling beef fillet for less than half the price that we pay in Cape Town. Of course I had to stock up.
I just love the simplicity of this recipe! Just remember that red peppercorns are very hot!
- 1kg beef fillet
- 25ml olive oil
- 250g brown button mushrooms, chopped
- 60ml chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 15ml red peppercorns (I used the red peppercorns in brine), crushed
- 5ml green peppercorns, crushed
- 125ml red wine
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰c.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillet for about 10 minutes until it is browned all over.
- Remove and place into a roasting tin. Season with salt
- Fry the mushrooms in the same frying pan and brown. Remove from the heat and add the thyme leaves, red and green peppercorns and the red wine. Pour over the fillet.
- Cook in the oven for 25minutes.
- Remove and leave to rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with vegetables of your choice