If you are of the opinion that food without meat is boring and tasteless, maybe you should think again! Some of the most delicious dishes that I have made in the past were meatless dishes. Who would be able to resist these vegetable parcels, tomato and haloumi salad or mushrooms stuffed with peas?
This beetroot and cottage cheese stacks are served with pecan nuts and a balsamic dressing on the side. The pecan nuts provide some protein and crunch to the dish. It can be served as a side dish, a starter or a main vegetarian dish.
I mixed the cottage cheese with ruby micro herbs, which is a combination of beetroot, mustard and radish baby leaves. It is available at most supermarkets in South Africa. If you cannot find these, use basil or thyme leaves or any other herbs that you prefer.
This is a delicious and beautiful dish. The colour makes it the kind of dish that will impress your guests at a special occasion. It will be perfect to serve at a Valentine’s dinner!
- 4 medium beetroots
- fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 45ml olive oil
- 45ml balsamic vinegar
- 250g smooth cottage cheese
- 15g fresh herbs (micro herbs, thyme leaves or basil)
- 50g roasted pecan nuts
- Extra herbs to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Peel the beetroots and place some thyme leaves on each beetroot. Season with salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Place on an oven tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes.
- Place the garlic on the oven tray and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and unwrap the beets. Cool down.
- Remove the skin of the garlic and mix with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (Keep aside)
- Mix the cottage cheese with the herbs.
- Cut each beetroot in 3 slices, spread the bottom slice with the herbed cottage cheese, place a slice of beetroot on top and spread again with the cottage cheese mixture. Place the top half of the beetroot on top.
- Place on a serving dish with the roasted pecan nuts and garnish with the extra herbs.
- Drizzle with the olive oil mixture and serve.