It is weekend and in South Africa it is normally time to light the fire and have a braai. One thing that features often on a South African braai is boerewors. I made these muffins with some left-over boerewors, but any sausage will be a nice surprise in the muffins. I am going to try pork bangers and chorizo the next time!
Something else South Africans serve with a braai is pap (cornmeal porridge). These Boerewors and Corn muffins are pap and boerewors in a muffin!
It is great for breakfast time or school lunch boxes. I made six large ones, but for children the smaller muffins will be better.
- 125g cake flour
- 15ml baking powder
- 2.5ml salt
- 170g maize meal
- 15ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 60g butter, melted
- 125ml milk
- 1 x 410g sweetcorn
- 200g cooked boerewors
- Pre-heat the oven to 200⁰C. Grease a muffin tin.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the maize meal and sugar and stir together.
- Whisk the egg, butter, milk and sweetcorn together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix lightly.
- Spoon half the batter into the muffin tins. Cut the sausage into 6 or 12 pieces, depending on the size of your muffin tins and place a piece onto the batter in the muffin pans. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the muffins are slightly brown and cooked through.