After the over indulgence in December I am trying to cook a bit healthier! Really, I am trying!
My husband’s cousin who has a coffee shop in Port Elizabeth makes a quiche using rice as the base. With this in mind I made this tart. I used Tastic’s brown and wild rice with lentils, but any type of rice can be used.
This dish is quick and easy to prepare, especially if you use left-over rice. I cooked more rice than what we would eat the previous day so on the day I prepared this dish it took me 10 minutes to prepare and then it went into the oven. Before I could finish my glass of wine, the dish was ready to be served and the family loved it.
My son, who does not eat spinach (luckily he eats yellow peppers), enjoyed this as well. If he approves of a vegetarian dish, I think most children will eat this.
This can be served warm or cold, as a side dish or as a vegetarian main dish. It will be excellent served in slices as part of a picnic.
- 400ml cooked brown rice
- 300ml grated cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 50g baby spinach, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, sliced
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C. Grease a rectangular oven dish.
- Combine the rice, 150ml cheddar cheese and 2 eggs together. Press the rice mixture into the prepared dish.
- Layer the spinach and yellow pepper over the rice mixture.
- Beat the remaining 3 eggs and add the remaining 150ml cheddar cheese and the feta cheese. Mix together, seson to taste and pour over the vegetables.
- Bake for 30 minutes, in the pre-heated oven.
- Remove from the oven and stand for a couple of minutes, before serving.