This is a very quick and easy dish to prepare, but full of flavour. Perfect for a meal during the week when you are tired and do not want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
The pineapple coulis gives a wonderful sweet tang to this dish.
Woolworths sells a wonderful sausage called Spanish sausage that is more economical than chorizo but it is great on taste.
- 45ml olive oil
- 1kg chicken fillets, sliced into slivers
- 2 onions, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 500g chorizo
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 30ml Cajun spice
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 x tin whole peeled tomato
- black pepper and salt, to taste
- pita breads x 6
- 1 pineapple, peeled cored and cubed
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pot and brown the chicken fillets. Remove from the pot.
- In the same pan brown the onions.
- Add the garlic, chorizo, red peppers and Cajun spice and cook for 5minutes on low heat.
- Return the chicken with the chicken stock, peeled tomatoes and loads of black pepper. Season with salt, if required.
- Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Place the pineapple cubes into a blender and process until coarsely blended.
- Heat the pita breads in a heavy based pan. Slice open and fill with the chicken-chorizo mixture. Serve with the pineapple coulis on the side. Chicken and chorizo in pita breads with pineapple coulis