Although I love living in Cape Town, I do not like the grey winter days! One advantage of these days is that I have an excuse to do or buy something to brighten my day. To brighten the grey days I mostly buy a colourful bundle of flowers. Every now and then I try and cook something colourful.
I made this Chicken with oranges and red onions on a very grey day. It was beautiful, but unfortunately it was too late to take pictures of the dish, so I had to do it the next day with a few pieces that was left.
Do try this dish to bring a bit of colour to a grey day!
- 125ml fresh orange juice
- 30ml olive oil
- 80ml honey
- 10ml ground cumin
- 5ml turmeric
- 10ml ground coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 oranges quartered
- 2 red onions quartered
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Mix the orange juice, olive oil, honey, cumin, turmeric, coriander and garlic together.
- Season the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over and marinade, covered, for an hour in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Add the orange and red onion quarters to the chicken and bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes or until the chicken are fully cooked.
- Scatter some fresh coriander leaves over and serve warm with couscous or rice.