One of the most difficult things for me participating in Dinner Divas was to decide what I will make for the first round. Our brief was to make at least 3 dishes, and each must contain one of the sponsor’s products. The sponsors are Rhodes food group, Nu-laid eggs and Sasko products. We were told to preferably not mix the ingredients in our recipes! Most baked goodies require flour (Sasko) and eggs (Nu-laid), so I it was very difficult to make something containing one of each. I played around with loads of recipes – some successful but some totally uneatable!
In the end I decided to make these chocolate crunchies, which was an adaption of a very old recipe of my Mother!! It is a very easy recipe and you can make it very quickly. For Dinner Divas I used heart shape cookie cutters to cut it, but it can be cut into rectangular shapes. It can be made without the chocolate topping for a more affordable version.
It is a great Lunchbox treat!
I used Sasko Flour in this recipe to obtain the best results!
- 140g (250ml) Sasko cake flour
- 30ml cocoa powder
- 5ml baking powder
- 1ml salt
- 150ml (125g) sugar
- 80g (250ml) desiccated coconut
- 80g (250ml) rolled oats
- 200ml melted butter
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 200g milk chocolate
- 100ml cream
- Strawberries or any other berries of your choice
- Icing sugar to dust over
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC.
- Butter an ovenproof dish of approximately 28 x 18 cm.
- Sift the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the sugar, coconut and oats and mix well.
- Stir the melted butter with the vanilla essence into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Press into the prepared baking dish and flatten.
- Prick all over with a fork and bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 12 minutes.
- In the mean time melt the chocolate in the microwave oven, making sure that it does not overheat.
- When just melted add the cream and return to the microwave for 30 seconds and beat well.
- Take the baked crunchies out of the oven and pour the chocolate topping immediate over the top and spread with a knife.
- Cut into squares or cut into forms with a cookie cutter while still warm.
- Leave to cool.
- Serve with some sifted icing sugar and fresh berries.