I love crumpets and with this mixture from Sasko you can whip up a batch very quickly. I served this with mint infused strawberry compote, but you can serve the crumpets with honey, syrup or cheese or what ever you like.
Strawberries are at its best and in abundance at the moment. This compote is very quick and easy to make and if you have any left over it can be drizzled over ice-cream or a fruit salad. You can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge for 3 days.
Make the crumpets according to the packet instructions or bake some crumpets using your favourite recipe.
- 400g strawberries
- 125g sugar
- 125ml fresh mint
- Cut some of the strawberries in smaller pieces and leave some as is.
- Place the strawberries with the sugar in a saucepan and heat over moderate heat till it starts boiling.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Crush the mint leaves, but do not break it up to much since you need to remove this. Add the leaves to the strawberry mixture and leave to infuse for an hour or until the syrup is completely cooled down.
- Remove the mint leaves with a slotted spoon.
- Serve with the crumpets or pour into a sterilized jar and keep in the fridge.