These goulash meatballs are spicy and a great dish to prepare on a cold winter’s night!
Every person need to have a good meatball recipe. I have been making this recipe for years and I have posted it before. Every time I try a new recipe, my family complains and I always revert back to this old and trusted recipe. The only time that I will be excused to use another recipe is when I make curry banana meatballs.
I use the same recipe when I make beef burgers. The burgers / meatballs freeze extremely well. Having these meatballs in the freezer, saved me quite a couple of times in the past, when unexpected guests show up for dinner. It can be taken out of the freezer and warmed up in a couple of minutes. Serve with some buttery mash and a salad.
The meatballs are also great dressed with a sauce and served with pasta. A simple well cooked tomato sauce with loads of basil is perfect. If you do not have the time to cook a sauce, simply add a shop-bought one.
The meatballs are also delicious when served cold, but definitely not in winter! In winter it needs a spicy hot sauce, like this goulash sauce. Serve this with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes and a dallop of sour cream if you wish.
Enjoy the weekend and remember to have fun in the kitchen!
- 1kg Beef mince
- 3 slices of white bread, turned into crumbs in a food processor
- 1 onion finely chopped in a food processor
- 2 eggs
- 180ml tomato sauce
- 180ml chutney
- 60ml Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 30ml paprika
- 15ml dry mixed herbs
- Goulash sauce:
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 x 410g tin of tomatoes, pureed in a food processor
- 50g tomato paste
- 250ml beef stock
- 30ml paprika
- 5ml cayenne pepper
- 5ml sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºc.
- Mix all the Pattie ingredients together.
- Form into meatballs and place into an oven dish.
- Place a small piece of butter on each meatball and bake for 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
- In the mean time prepare the goulash sauce by heating the oil in a sauce pan.
- Sauté the onion until soft in the oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the chopped red pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, paprika, cayenne pepper and sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour the goulash sauce over.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160ºc and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.