My family and I went up the West coast recently to look at the flowers. The flowers were absolutely in abundance this year! We enjoyed every minute of this trip!
On our way back we went through the little town of Velddrif, an absolutely gem on the West Coast. We bought a number of snoeks, which we cooked some recently according to Jan Braai’s way to braai snoek. There was nothing left of 3 snoeks that we have braaied for 14 people and everyone said that it was the best braaied snoek that they have ever eaten!!
We also bought some harders, which hubby braaied that night when we came home. This is a wonderful and VERY affordable braai to do on heritage or any other day!
The person, who sold this to him, was a real fisherman and he knew his harders! Hubs loves braaing so he immediately told Nelius: “I am only going to buy this, if I can braai this, so you must tell me how?” Nelius responded: “Nay, my larnie, you can braai this and it is very delicious!” and he told hubs how to do this. So this is his recipe:
- 12 harders, vlekked and cleaned
- coarse salt
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5ml sugar
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 x 400g can of tomatoes with chilli, chopped
- fresh grounded black pepper
- 60ml chopped fresh chives
- 10 seeded green olives
- Cover the harders with the coarse salt and leave for 30 minutes on a tray.
- Rinse the salt off the harders with cold running water and peg the fish onto a washing line and allow to wind dry for 2 to 3 hours.
- In the mean time lid your fire and make the sauce by heating the oil on medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry until lightly browned, add the garlic, sugar and yellow pepper and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and sauté for 15 minutes.
- Dip the wind dried fish into the sauce and braai on medium coals for about 10 minutes, turning frequently.
- Dip into the sauce every time before turning.
- Keep the sauce cooking and add the fresh chives and olives just before serving.
- Serve the cooked fish with some fresh bread and slices of lemon with the sauce on the side!
The harders drying:
The harders ready to be cooked:
The harders on the braai: