Last year in November I was forunate enough to win tickets to the Cape Dairy experience as well as a hamper filled with cheeses from Karoo Goat’s Milk Products. Amongst other cheeses, there was some Halloumi cheese included in the hamper.
Although I have never cooked with Hallouni at home before I knew that this Goat’s milk cheese has a slightly salted taste and it holds it shape when fried or grilled. I wanted to make something where the halloumi would be the center of the dish so I decided to make this easy hot tomato and halloumi salad which is an excellent light lunch. You can also serve this as a starter.
- 250g punnet of baby cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 30ml olive oil
- salt and freshly grounded black pepper
- 125g halloumi cheese, cubed
- 125g mangetout
- the juice of 1 lime
- micro herbs for garnishing
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil. Add minced garlic and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 12 minutes.
- In the mean time heat a non stick frying pan and fry the halloumi until golden brown.
- Place the mangetout and roasted tomatoes on plates, topped with the fried halloumi.
- Drizzle with the lime juice and scatter some micro-herbs on top.
- Serve with some crusty bread.