Lasagne is a classic meal; it’s something that I’ve been regularly cooking for the past thirty years. I can still remember entertaining people in the early eighties with lasagne.
Lasagne is the perfect dish to feed a large crowd with and so I often kept lasagne (whether home cooked or from Woolworths) in the freezer; especially when my children were still growing up.
My favourite lasagne was always made with a beef bolognaise or with chicken. That was until I made this recipe.
Chorizo is an expensive sausage, so I mostly use Woolworth’s Spanish sausages, especially when making this dish. This is a large dish; you can make it in two dishes and freeze the one, if you are not feeding such a huge or hungry crowd.
I usually serve the dish with a green salad, made from lettuce leaves, cucumber and green peppers.
If rolling the lasagne is too much trouble, you can layer the dish, starting with the tomato sauce, lasagne and the chorizo mixture. Make two layers and top again with the tomato sauce and mozzarella. The rolls are however cute and looks a bit different.
- 10ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1x 800g tin of tomatoes
- 180ml tomato paste
- 30ml fresh basil leaves
- 15 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 15ml fresh oreganum leaves
- 5ml chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- 500g chorizo, chopped
- 250g creamed cottage cheese
- 200g lasagne
- 500ml grated mozzarella
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, thyme, oreganum and chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Fry the chorizo until browned. Remove from heat and mix the cottage cheese with the chorizo.
- Bring water to the boil in a pasta pot and cook the lasagne sheets for 3 minutes. (cook 2 to 3 sheets at a time.)
- Remove from the water and cut each lasagne sheet in halve.
- Place some chorizo mixture in the middle of the lasagne sheet and roll up. Place the rolls tightly together in an oven dish.
- Pour the tomato sauce over and top with the grated mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.