This is a re-post. The original recipe can be found here!
Leg of lamb cooked in muscadel, served with sweet peppers
By: Pink Polka Dot Food
Recipe Type: Mains
Leg of lamb recipe
- 1 x 1.2 kg leg of lamb
- 4 garlic gloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 15ml Dijon mustard
- 30ml Olive oil
- Salt and freshly grounded pepper to taste
- 350ml Muscadel wine
- 4 red peppers, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 4 yellow peppers, seeds removed and sliced into strips
- 45g butter, melted
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 15ml flour
- Mix the garlic, rosemary, mustard, olive oil and 100ml of the muscadel together. Season the leg of lamb with the salt and pepper and smear the muscadel mixture over the lamb and set aside to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Place the lamb in a roasting pan, and place the sliced pepper strips around it. Pour the remaining muscadel, the melted butter and 50ml of the vegetable stock on the peppers.
- Roast the meat for 1 hour and 15 minutes for rare and 1 hour and 30 minutes for medium and 1 hour and 45 minutes for well done, whilst basting the meat and peppers with the sauce from time-to-time.
- Once cooked, remove the meat and peppers from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes, whilst making the gravy.
- Pour the remaining pan juices into a small sauce pot. Blend the flour with a little cold water, add to the pan, and stir over low heat, for about 2 minutes. Add the rest of the stock and stir constantly until the mixture boils. Cook for 5 minutes until the mixture thickened.
- Serve hot.