We are having the most amazing autumn in Cape Town. The days are quite hot, but evenings are cold. This means we can still go for long walks on the beach, before sunset. Once the sun has set, we can eat really heart warming winter food.
My family loves tacos and Mexican food, so I have decided to make this soup and serve it with taco shells. You can feed a large crowd with this soup and even more if you add some guacamole!
The soup is quick and easy to prepare and budget friendly. The tacos are quite expensive to buy, so I will soon share a recipe for homemade tacos with you!
- 800g lean beef mince
- 30ml olive oil
- 30ml butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 60ml crushed red chillies
- 15ml cumin powder
- 15ml chilli powder
- 2 x 410g tins of peeled tomatoes
- 800ml beef stock
- salt to taste
- 250ml grated cheddar cheese
- fresh coriander
- tortilla chips / taco shells
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot and fry the mince until browned.
- Add the onions and chillies and sauté until the onions are tender.
- Add the cumin and chilli powder and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and beef stock and season with salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon into soup bowls and top with grated cheddar and fresh coriander leaves. Serve with tacos on the side.