These oats and lemon biscuits are perfect to make as a gift. I baked these before Mother’s Day already and wanted to suggest these biscuits as a Mother’s day gift, but then life happened and I never had time to write and upload the post! Luckily it is in time for Father’s Day! 😉
I always wanted to make crunchie biscuits that could be rolled out and cut into shapes. I have tried a number of real old fashioned crunchie biscuit recipes, but unfortunately it does not lend itself to be rolled out! Eventually, after a number of attempts I devised these biscuits. Although they are not authentic crunchie biscuits, they are very crunchy and utterly delicious!
I absolutely adore the flavour that lemons add to baking and cooking. Regular readers of my blog will know that my favourite bake is definitely a lemon meringue tart but I also adore this lemon meringue roulade! And Christmas will not be Christmas without these lemony shortbread stars! These oats and lemon biscuits taste perfect as is, but to make them more decadent I have filled them with lemon curd. Find the recipe for lemon curd, here!
The biscuits spread quite a bit so make sure to leave enough spice between the biscuits when you place them on the baking tray. The biscuit dough keeps well in the fridge for up to a week. Keep in the fridge and bake one biscuit tray at a time, to have fresh biscuits for tea, lunchboxes or something to nibble at after supper!
- 375ml castor sugar
- 250ml soft butter
- 1 extra large egg
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 560ml cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 250ml oats
- lemon curd
- Cream the castor sugar and the butter together.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the cake flour, baking powder and salt together and add with the lemon rind and oats to the butter mixture. Mix until it forms a dough.
- Cover the dough, and chill in the fridge for at least an hour (or up to a week).
- Pre-heat the oven to 190⁰C.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm in thickness.
- Cut out using biscuit cutters and place the biscuits 2cm apart on un-greased baking trays.
- Bake the biscuits in the pre-heated oven for 8 minutes or until the biscuits are slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven; cool down for a minute or 2 before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread one half of the biscuits with lemon curd and top each one with another biscuit. (The biscuits can be served without the filling)