My Mother enjoyed cooking and baking with apricot jam. She made apricot jam biscuits, apricot jam slices, apricot jam tartlets, apricot jam tart, chicken with apricot jam and mayonnaise and many more. One of her favourite recipes was this apricot jam pudding.
I do not make this pudding often, since it must be baked twice. However after reading Ziet’s post about slow cooking I decided it was time to make this pudding again. This apricot jam pudding is perfect comfort food for winter. I serve it as is, but you can serve it with custard, cream or ice-cream.
My mother made this pudding in one large dish, but I saw a similar recipe, called Hotel pudding in the Sarie Kos, and it was baked in enamel mugs. It was so cute I just had to do the same!
- 250ml cake flour
- Pinch of salt
- 45ml butter
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 7.5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml apricot jam
- 15ml lemon juice
- 250ml ideal milk
- 180ml sugar
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C and spray 6 ramekins or enamel mugs with a non-stick baking spray.
- Sift the flour and salt together and rub the butter with your fingers into the cake flour until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Beat the eggs and add to the flour mixture. Mix the bicarbonate of soda into the milk and add to the flour mixture with the apricot jam and lemon juice. Beat well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared ramekins or enamel mugs and bake for 40 minutes in the pre-heated oven or until baked through.
- Remove from the oven and cool down completely.
- Mix the ideal milk, sugar and egg together and pour over the puddings.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.