I always thought about “old-fashioned” as things that happened when my mother was young. When I rediscovered this mushroom recipe again and made it for my family I was quite shocked to hear my children asking me if I could make those old-fashioned stuffed mushrooms again!
I use to make these often in the eighties as a starter. It is also great as a side dish and will make a wonderful light vegetarian lunch.
I rediscovered the beauty of serving this as a starter at a braai, because no plate is required. You only need one free hand and the other hand can be used for your favourite drink. A beer goes well with these delicious morsels!
The mushrooms ready to go into the oven:
- 8 large brown mushrooms, cleaned
- 45ml butter, melted
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 60g bread crumbs
- 45ml cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 20ml fresh thyme leaves
- 90g grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Butter an oven proof dish.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and cut finely.
- Mix the mushroom stems with the melted butter, garlic, bread crumbs, cream, egg yolk and thyme leaves.
- Fill the mushrooms with the mushroom stem mixture and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over.
- Place into the prepared oven dish and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!