I attended the Food Bloggers Indaba in June, this year. It was a great event and we received 3 bags full of delicious goodies. I have used these goodies to create wonderful food, and this pasta with chicken livers was inspired by some of the things in our bags.
I craved chicken livers for quite some time now, but since my son does not eat this, I had to wait until one night he went out. Well, he chose Tuesday night to go and watch a musical at a local school and they would also have supper there.
Although I was glad that I could finely cook chicken livers, it was also an awful night to take him to attend the show! If you live in Cape Town, you will know that we really had violent storms and heavy rain recently. We also had some hail or ice rain, like some people described this.
Well, luckily he enjoyed his night out and we enjoyed our chicken livers!
At the FBI we received some Fairview Amazing Pinotage Rosé! VG and I opened it one night and it is one of the best Rosés, if not THE BEST, I have ever tasted. Unfortunately we could not drink all of it, so I added some to these chicken livers with some Massel’s Chicken Bouillon cubes that we also received in our goody bags. I really think this was the best chicken livers that I have ever made (or tasted).
- 300g cooked pasta (I used penne)
- 60g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 125g streaky bacon, chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 500g chicken livers, halved
- 60ml Fairview Amazing pinotage rosé
- 25ml cake flour
- 1 Massel chicken bouillon cube
- 100ml hot water
- 250ml cream
- 60ml fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Fry the onions and bacon in the butter for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken livers and sauté until browned.
- Add the pinotage rosé and sauté for another 4 minutes.
- Add the cake flour and mix to form a roux.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water and stir into the chicken liver mixture and cook over medium heat till thickened.
- Add the cream and heat until heated through.
- Serve with the cooked pasta.