This is another recipe that I have posted before! This Lemon meringue is absolutely the best that you will ever taste!
PinkPolkaDot's Lemon meringue
By: Pink Polka Dot Food
- Pastry Ingredients:
- 125ml soft butter or margarine
- 125ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 500ml cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 X 397g tins of full cream condensed milk
- 250ml lemon juice
- 6 eggs, separated
- 375ml castor sugar
- 125ml sugar
- Pinch of salt
- For the Pastry: 1. Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and beat till creamy. Add the vanilla essence and mix through.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder together and fold into the butter mixture.
- Line a large loose bottomed tin (28cm diameter) at the bottom and sides with the pastry. Prick with a fork and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Bake the Pastry for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 160ºC.
- For the filling: 1. Mix the condensed milk and lemon juice very well.
- Add the egg yolks and mix again very well. Pour into the pastry.
- Make sure that you have measured your sugars and salt and that it is ready to add to the egg whites, before you start beating the egg whites.
- With an electric egg beater, beat the whites till stiff. Add the castor sugar very slowly, about 15ml at a time whilst beating continuously. Add the salt and the sugar, also about 15ml at a time whilst continuing to beat.
- Put the meringues on top of the condensed milk mixture. You can either spoon the mixture over and use a fork to make some waves or use an icing bag and decorate the meringue onto the condensed milk mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes until the meringue is caramel brown.
- Remove from the oven and wait till the tart is completely cool before removing from the baking tin.