Over the years I have tried many recipes for scones. This old recipe is still my family’s favourite! I have been using this recipe, on and off, for more than 25 years. It is quick and easy to make!
Recipe Type: baking
- 225g self raising flour
- 2.5ml salt
- 75g butter
- 26g castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 60ml milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten to brush over the scones
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC. Butter a baking tray.
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a knife.
- Add the sugar, egg and milk and mix thoroughly until it forms a dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a flour dusted service until the dough is 1 cm thick.
- Press with small scone cutter and place onto the buttered baking tray.
- Brush with some of the egg yolk and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with jam and cream or cheese.