My mother never made bread and butter pudding because she did not like it. As a result, I used to never cooked this because I was of the opinion that it is not really a nice dessert. I only started appreciating this about four years ago and now I am addicted.
I really enjoy experimenting with the recipe by using different kinds of breads. I have made this pudding with croissants, cinnamon rolls and other breads. My favourite is definitely one made with hot-cross buns.
I recently started making savoury bread puddings and tried a variety of vegetables in the pudding. I made one with left-over ratatouille and it was pretty nice. Another one was made with canned sweet corn and cheddar cheese. Unfortunately my family did not enjoy this. The favourite was definitely this one made with mushrooms.
This savoury bread pudding with mushrooms is an excellent dish to serve on meat-free Mondays. I served it with a small salad on the side for a light lunch.
It can also be served as a side dish at a braai or with roasted chicken. This is another dish that you can play around with and add the vegetables that you enjoy most. Next time I am definitely going to make this savoury bread pudding with tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
- 60ml butter
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 250g brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and freshly grounded black pepper
- 1 small French loaf, cubed
- 250 ml grated Mozzarella cheese
- 125ml grated Parmesan cheese
- 375ml milk
- 250ml cream
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C and butter six large ramekins.
- Melt the butter in a pot and sauté the leeks over medium heat until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and black pepper. Sauté until soft.
- Place the baguette cubes with the mushroom mixture, mozzarella and half of the Parmesan cheese into a bowl and mix well. Spoon the mushroom mixture into the prepared ramekins.
- Place the milk and cream into a pot and bring to the boil over medium heat. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the hot milk and cream mixture. Mix thoroughly and pour over the mushroom mixture.
- Top with the remaining parmesan cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.