It is summer, it is December, it is braai time in South Africa!
If my husband got his way, he would braai every night, especially during holidays. Recently he braai’d four nights in a row and told us he has compulsive braai disorder!
I could eat barbequed meat – whether it is lamb chops, chicken, fish, steaks, pork chops or boerewors, every night in a row for quite a while. The problem however is the side dishes. I cannot eat braaibroodjies twice in a row and although I love pap and sheba, I also do not want to eat it twice in one week!
Here are a couple of recipes for side dishes that goes well with a braai!
The first one can also be served as a main dish for vegetarians.
- 2 large aubergines, sliced in the length in 1cm thick slices
- 60ml olive oil
- 90ml basil pesto
- 200g smoked mozzarella
- 60g baby cherry tomatoes, halved
- fresh basil
- Brush the aubergine slices on both sides with the olive oil and braai for 3 minutes on each side until soft.
- Spread one side with basil pesto. Top with smoked mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Braai for 5 minutes and serve immediately.