Since Sunday was World baking day, I was planning to spend the whole day in the kitchen. It was however a beautiful day in Cape Town so we just had to go for a walk on the beach early in the morning!
Once home I started playing in the kitchen and had a delightful time, but I have never had so many disasters in the kitchen before! First I made potato baskets for brunch and the baskets did not work out, so eventually I just put the filling on top of flat potato cakes! 🙁
Secondly I decided to bake Brownies with an orange meringue (number 95) of the challenge. The baking tin that I used was larger than the one that I was supposed to use, so my brownie cake came out flat and I could not divide it into two halves, so I put the orange curd on top followed by the meringue. I was supposed to brown the meringue with my blow torch, but once I wanted to do this, I discovered that my blowtorch was out of gas! I decided to brown the meringue under the oven grill and I burnt it! 🙁 Eventually I just baked the cake until the meringue was brown and cooked. It tastes wonderful but looked awful, but I am definitely going to bake this again!
Thirdly (yes, there was a third disaster!) the chicken for the chicken meatballs were very sticky and I battled to form round meatballs. It tasted however delicious, and if you are watching Masterchef Australia, you will see that in the end it is all about taste. 🙂 So do try these spicy chicken meatballs in a coconut sauce which I served with rice.
- 1kg Chicken mince
- 1 large onion, chopped very finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10ml grated fresh ginger
- 4 slices of bread, crumbed
- 1 egg
- 15ml Cayenne powder
- 15ml paprika powder
- 5ml turmeric
- 30ml fresh chopped thyme
- 30ml fresh chopped oreganum
- 30ml fresh basil (10ml dried basil)
- Salt and freshly grounded black pepper to taste
- 45ml olive oil and 30ml butter
- 60ml butter
- 60ml flour
- 15ml curry powder
- 10ml cumin powder
- 5ml coriander powder
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 x tin coconut milk
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C and butter an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the mince, onion, garlic, ginger, breadcrumbs, egg, cayenne powder, paprika, turmeric, thyme, oreganum and basil together. Season with salt and black pepper and roll the mixture into medium sized meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil and 30ml butter in a saucepan and fry the meatballs on all sides until brown. Transfer to the buttered ovenproof dish.
- Heat the 60ml butter until melted in a saucepan. Add the cake flour, curry powder, cumin powder and coriander powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and stir all the time. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the coconut milk and pour over the meat balls.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve on rice.