It is a wonderful and hot day today in Cape town. I am posting this spicy chicken dish to cool you down! 🙂
Did you know that because spicy food makes you sweat, which cools the body down, it is good to eat spicy food on hot days? Spices also help stimulate the production of feel-good endorphins in the body and spices such as ginger can boost metabolism.
I used Rhodes tinned tomatoes for this dish.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 30ml olive oil
- 10ml cumin powder
- 10ml paprika
- 5ml minced fresh ginger root
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- extra 10ml olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- rind of halve a lemon
- 125ml green pitted olives
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Mix the olive oil, cumin, paprika, fresh ginger and garlic together. Make slashes with a knife across the skin of the chicken and rub with the spice mix. Marinade for at least one hour.
- Heat the extra olive oil over moderate heat and fry the chicken on both sides until golden brown. Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes and lemon rind and sauté for 50 minutes.
- Add the olives and stir through and serve topped with the fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with couscous.