It is exam time and when one has to study, you tend to look for something to nibble on! Luckily my daughter’s exams are over, for the time being. Now they are waiting for the results and hopefully they will not have to study again to repeat an exam, this year.
Boykie is writing his last exam today. He is in Grade 11 and this exam is vital to get admission to university. Needless to say I was more stressed than him!
These crunchies are sticky and full of dried peaches. The combination of orange and peaches work well together. These crunchies are also a nice bake for the holidays.
- 250g butter, diced
- 250g castor sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 450g oats
- 125g dried peaches, chopped
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 60ml sunflower seeds
- 30ml orange juice
- 45ml orange marmalade
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC and butter a 188 x 30cm baking tin.
- Place the butter, castor sugar and syrup in a heavy-based sauce pan and heat on moderate heat, whilst stirring all the time, until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and add the oats, dried peaches and orange zest. Mix through.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared baking tin and sprinkle the sunflower seeds evenly over.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the cruchies are golden brown around the edges and remove from the oven.
- Leave in the pan to cool down. Heat the orange juice and marmalade together and brush evenly over the top.
- Cool down completely and cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.